The Rose Scholars program is an opportunity for residents to participate regularly in the academic and civic activities of Flora Rose House. The program is designed to address the needs of students who want to be part of the House living-learning model, but find it difficult to divert time from class study. The Scholars program eliminates that problem by making life in Flora Rose House a class of its own.
Rose House does NOT hold a Spring Semester in-house lottery like other residence halls. Participation in Rose Scholars for 2021-2022 is the ONLY way to guarantee housing in Rose House for the 2022-2023 Academic Year.
Rose Scholars Application
Complete the Rose Scholars online application by the published deadline. The application asks residents to answer questions about their interest in the program and the type of civic and academic opportunities they'd like to pursue. If admitted, you will be enrolled in a 1-credit-per-semester class UNILWYL 1402 (formerly PAM 1200) for both the fall and spring semesters. The class will be graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. Seniors may participate in Rose Scholars for the course credit, but may not return to Rose House for Graduate Student Housing through Continued Occupancy. Returning Rose Scholars must re-apply to the program every year!
The Fall 2021 Rose Scholars Application is now CLOSED.
Benefits of Participation
- Participants are offered a guaranteed housing option in Rose House the following year, contingent upon eligibility.
- Participants who successfully complete the program will be designated as Rose Scholars and awarded a Certificate of Completion, and Seniors will receive a Rose House graduation pin.
What are the class requirements for Rose Scholars?
- Weekly Attendance. Attend one event that fulfills the Rose Scholars requirement each week classes are in session (starting September 6, 2021) and post a reflection about your experience to the Rose Scholar Blog as detailed below:
- Weeks are Monday through Sunday (except during academic breaks)
- Scholars should attend a minimum of one (1) event per week; multiple events per week will not count for additional credit.
- You are given three excused absences per semester. Please use these excused absences carefully and only in cases when you truly need them. You will still be eligible to receive an "S" provided that you fulfill the attendance and blog requirement for:
- 8 of the 11 weeks in the Fall 2021 Semester
- 9 of 12 weeks in the Spring 2022 Semester
- Every week we offer at least four events that you can use to fulfill the requirement: Table Talks (Mondays around dinnertime), Rose Cafe (Wednesdays after 7pm), Mini-Seminars (Thursdays after 8pm), Friday Films (after 8pm), and weekend events (any time Saturday or Sunday depending on event)
- Blog Requirement. Your weekly post to the Rose Scholars Blog should reflect on your experience of the event that you attended, not summarize that event. In other words, don't tell what you did. Tell what you thought about what you did. It can include a written reflection (1 paragraph), photos, video, even a poem, so long as it reflects on your experience of the event. You will receive information about how to join our blog network after you are accepted and enrolled in the program.
The Rose Scholars Blog is being moved to Canvas for 2021-2022
- Comment Requirement. You are encouraged to read the Rose Scholars Blog and look at what others are learning. In order to promote dialogue among Scholars, each Scholar is required to submit five (5) comments regarding other participants' posts over the course of each semester. That's ten comments total for the entire academic year.
- Rose Service Scholars. Now in its third year, Rose Service Scholars conducted bi-weekly service at Beverly J Martin Elementary School. Students serve as tutors for their after school program or mentors in their A+ MakerPlace STEM enrichment program. Previous students that participated in Rose Service Scholars shared that they had a great experience that allowed them to interact more deeply with Ithaca community members including students at BJM, teachers at Ithaca City School District, and parents and families of students. New this year, we will be piloting the Service Scholars Community Intern program with House Fellow Deanna Carrithers, Tompkins County's new Chief Diversity and Equity Officer and with House Fellow Alicia Kenaley, Executive Director, Family & Children’s Service of Ithaca. The Community Intern positions are only available to Returning Rose Scholars (current Juniors or Seniors).
- Service Scholars are required to attend 1.5-2hrs hours of service every two weeks as their Rose Scholars requirement for a total of 6-7 visits each semester. Scholars are required to blog about their visits and their time volunteering. Finally, Scholars are required to comment on at least 5 other posts for each semester.
- Please preference this option on your application if interested
In the Fall Semester, students accepted into the program are enrolled in the Fall section of UNILWYL 1402 (formerly PAM 1200) the week following acceptance. Students who complete Fall semester requirements are enrolled in the Spring section of UNILWYL 1402 in December or January. Students may withdraw from Rose Scholars until the University Registrar drop deadline (check the OUR registrar website for details) to drop the class and end their participation without penalty. However, you must participate throughout both semesters in order to exercise the guaranteed housing option. The requirement to participate in the Spring semester is waived for registered students who study abroad or participate in Cornell in Washington or similar University programs during the Spring semester.
Attendance at more than one event per week is always encouraged, but we count participation by the number of weeks in which you participate in one or more programs. The intent is to spread your participation out evenly throughout the semester rather than having you cram events in at the end.
Read the FAQ (linked below) to learn more about Rose Scholars and Continued Occupancy at Flora Rose House.